April 29th, 2016Burma
- According to The Irrawaddy, Karen freedom fighters from the Democratic Karen Benevolent Army (DKBA) have joined forces with the Arakan Army (AA) to fight against the Burma Army.
- It is rumoured that a new bill which aims to revive Burma’s 1975 State Protection Law might be submitted to Parliament.
April 22nd, 2016News from HART
- The 1st prize entry of this year’s HART Prize for Human Rights Senior Essay category has now been published!
- Suu Kyi received her fifth listing among the Time magazine’s ‘100 Most Influential People’ this week.
- Meanwhile, CBS News has reported claims of high level corruption as a media group allegedly presented an important official with “an envelope with more than $4,000 as a gift”.
April 21st, 2016HUMANITARIAN UPDATE – March 2016
South Kordofan and Blue Nile states, Sudan
Produced by the South Kordofan and Blue Nile Coordination Unit The full update is available as a download below. The government’s dry season offensive has begun in the Two Areas during the reporting period, later than expected (last year’s offensive started as early as December)....
April 18th, 2016In an event last Tuesday 12th April in London, we announced the winners of this year’s HART Prize for Human Rights. Over the past few months, we have been reaching out to young people across the UK and beyond, letting them know about HART’s work, our partners, and t...
April 15th, 2016News from HART
- Thank you to all those who attended the HART Prize for Human Rights Exhibition and Prize Giving Ceremony this week!
- A strong earthquake of 6.9 in magnitude struck Burma on Wednesday, but luckily no deaths were reported.
- The Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi (VCK), a political party with a strong Dalit base has launched its own television channel this week.
April 8th, 2016News from HART
April 6th, 2016On Monday we posted an overview of the news coverage detailing the escalation of violence in Nagorno-Karabakh from 2nd April, with facts and reports by some of the world’s biggest news outlets, from the BBC to CNN. Much of the discussion centered around the geopolitics of the conflict and possible future scenarios, yet little focused on the human cost that such an escalation in violence has had....
April 4th, 2016On Saturday, April 2nd fighting broke out in the disputed region of Nagorno-Karabakh. According to Al Jazeera, “at least 30 soldiers from both sides have been killed”. Yet, there were also numerous civilian casualties, as Russia Today reported in this video, which documents the experience of “two Nagorno-Karabakh boys, who were injured after shells landed near a school”....
April 1st, 2016News from HART
- The shortlist for the HART Prize for Human Rights has been chosen! Thank you to all entrants who participated – we have thoroughly enjoyed the broad spectrum and extremely high quality of your work ranging from art and essays to documentaries and musical compositions.