May 31st, 2016HART visited our partners and other civil society organisations working in Shan, Kachin, Karen and Karenni states in Burma and with refugees in Thailand in May 2016. Download our full visit report below. Summary:
- Fighting continues in Shan, Kachin and Rakhine states.
May 27th, 2016Burma
- The Myanmar government will allow exiled opposition activists who are still on an official “no-entry” blacklist to return to the Southeast Asian country within 100 days, said deputy foreign affairs minister Kyaw Tin on Thursday.
BBC News – Myanmar jade mine landslide kills at least 12 in Kachin https://t.co/IG39FGuCoQ — HART-UK (@HARTnews) May 24, 2016India
- Interesting new developments have taken place in India’s public transport systems as, according to The Independent, “Buses in India will be fitted with panic button alarms in an effort to protect women from sexual violence on public transport.” It has also been claimed that these buses will be equipped with CCTV and GPS tracking systems so that authorities are able to monitor public transport incidents in realtime.
May 24th, 2016Yesterday, Baroness Cox asked the British Government for their position on military attacks on civilians in the Blue Nile and Nuba Mountains, Sudan and aid spending in Burma. You can read Lady Cox and other Peers’ questions and the Government’s replies below....
May 20th, 2016News from HART See our latest blog on Burma, accompanied with an infographic. Burma
- Myanmar nationalists announced Wednesday that a series of protests were planned across major cities to demand that the government declare that there is no Rohingya ethnicity in the country.
May 14th, 2016News from HART
- The HART Team have just returned from a visit to partners on the Thailand-Burma border. Stay tuned for the visit report!
Follow us on Instagram @ hart.uk to see more of our content. Also, Don’t forget to check our site https://t.co/0oKKfmEThS for more news — HART-UK (@HARTnews) May 4, 2016Burma
- Protests against a joint mining operation with China in Letpadaung.
May 6th, 2016News from HART : This week we welcome our new intern, Joshua Colebourne. Josh will be our country lead for Burma, Nagorno-Karabakh and Uganda. He will also be working on campaigns and research. Burma
- About 50 shelters were destroyed in a fire on Tuesday at the Baw Du Pa camp located near Sittwe, the capital of the western state of Rakhine.