January 27th, 2017News from HART
- The HART Prize for Human Rights is still open for entries, click here for information
- Human Rights Watch and Fortify Rights, amongst others, have called on Burmese authorities to immediately release or appropriately charge two ethnic Baptist leaders who were arbitrarily detained by the military in December.
January 20th, 2017Burma
- Leadership Change Looms for Burma’s strongest ethnic armed group, United Wa State Army (UWSA)
- Humanitarian aid allowed to villages of Rohingyas after UN Special Rapporteur visit
- OIC calls upon the UN to intervene in Burma to avoid genocide of Rohingya Muslims
- Missing Kachin pastors have been confirmed to be detained by the Burmese army
- Members of the House of Commons called for a UN Commission of Inquiry into human rights abuses in Rakhine State
- Report suggests the Fulani and pastoral conflict is now the most deadly in Nigeria, above the Boko Haram insurgency
- At least 76 civilians killed after air-strike error in refugee camp in Rann, Borno State
- Eyewitness relives horror of Nigeria air strike
- Three killed in suspected Boko Haram University bombing despite claims from President Muhammadu Buhari that Boko Haram are “on the run, and no longer have a place to hide”
- Nigerian President claims his administration has ‘restored integrity and territory lost during battles with Boko Haram’
- 3920 people killed by Fulani attacks between 2013-2017
- 70 civilians killed in Darfur resource conflict
- Obama lifts sanctions on Sudan in his last week in office
- South Sudan’s government has banned international NGOs from operating in the rebel-held Panyijiar County
- Currently 1.83 million internally displaced people and 4.6 million people will need food assistance in the next four months according to World Food Program Report
- Hundreds raped and killed in South Sudan by military groups last July according to UN report
- Country dries up as drought hits harder in Karamoja sub-region.
January 13th, 2017News from HART
- HART is currently looking for a new Finance and Admin Intern. More details can be found here. Application closes Sunday 15th January (midnight).