March 31st, 2017Burma
- Aung Sun Suu Kyi has said that internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Myanmar’s Kachin state will only be able to return to their homes when all stakeholders work together in pursuit of ethnic peace
- An armed militant group fighting Myanmar’s government on behalf of the country’s Muslim Rohingya minority, the Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army, has issued a statement asserting its right to self-defence and denying links to any terrorist group
- One year in, Aung San Suu Kyi has offered to step down recognising the frustration of the people of Burma that little progress has been made in a variety of areas.
March 31st, 2017Following famine being declared in several areas in South Sudan earlier this month, Guernsey is to send £46,000 in emergency relief to the struggling country through HART. With ongoing civil war, widespread conflict, massive inflation, and drought, millions are at risk of starvation and 100,000 South Sudanese are already experiencing famine conditions....
March 24th, 2017Burma
- The United Nations human rights council is to investigate alleged human rights abuses by Myanmar’s army against the country’s Rohingya Muslim minority. Some 70,000 Rohingya have fled Myanmar into Bangladesh in the last six months, and the UN has gathered accounts of gang rapes and mass killings.
March 17th, 2017Burma
- A close associate of murdered Myanmar lawyer Ko Ni says the constitutional expert was working on a plan to weaken the military’s political power when he was gunned down at Yangon’s airport
- Between ten and twenty thousand Burmese refugees have flooded into the outskirts of Nansan, China, over the past week, after renewed violence in Myanmar’s Shan State between government forces and the Myanmar National Democratic Alliance Army
- Reports that Burma is using bureaucratic means to expel its Rohingya Muslim minority from the country through “Conducting a household survey – where those absent may be struck off the list” that could be the only legal proof of their status in Myanmar
- China’s Special Envoy for Asian Affairs, Sun Guoxiang, asked the Northern Alliance to stop fighting with the Burma Army at a meeting in Kunming, China, having previously met with the United Wa State Army (UWSA) the MNDAA on Tuesday
- Two civilians were killed and two others were injured in fresh clashes between the Burma Army and the Ta’ang National Liberation Army (TNLA) in the village of Nam Phat Kha in Kutkai Township of northern Shan State on Tuesday
- Children as young as 10 years old are among hundreds of Rohingya Muslims detained on charges of consorting with insurgents
March 10th, 2017Burma
- 53 MPs have signed Early Day Motion (a Parliamentary petition) calling on the British government to support a UN Commission of Inquiry into the situation in Rakhine State, Burma
- 30 people died in clashes between ethnic groups and Burmese forces along the border with China on Monday, dealing a blow to leader Aung San Suu Kyi’s goal of reaching peace with minorities.
March 3rd, 2017Burma
- An Obama-era human rights envoy, Keith Harper, has called on the UN to set up a commission to probe human rights violations in Myanmar’s Rakhine state and not let its leader Aung San Suu Kyi off the hook because of the “iconic status” she holds in the eyes of the West
- U Thein Sein, government-era Special Economic Zone (SEZ) laws do not match international standards or protect human rights.