June 24th, 2016
News Round-Up 24/06/16
- Aung San Suu Kyi announced on Wednesday that officials should now refer to the Rohingya minority as, ‘people who believe in Islam in Rakhine state’. Burma has been condemned for policies of discrimination against the Rohingya.
- Thailand will continue to house over 100,000 Burmese refugees. Thailand’s Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha announced today. Speaking ahead of Aung san Suu Kyi’s three day visit to Thailand, the prime minister announced that ‘[Burma] is willing to take back the refugees but we have to give them more time to prepare for such considerations as securing land to accommodate those who return. We understand each other’.
- The Niger Delta Avengers “say they want a greater share of Nigeria’s oil wealth to go to the impoverished Delta region”.
- According to MSF, “A catastrophic humanitarian emergency is currently unfolding in a camp for internally displaced people in Borno State, Nigeria.” The Guardian has reported that, “More than 1,200 people have died of starvation and illness“.
- The United Nations announced yesterday that it will be sending peacekeepers home after inadequate responses to attacks in a refugee camp in February. The attack on the camp, where about 48,000 people were sheltering, left at least 40 dead and 123 wounded.
The World Weekly has reported that, “Sudan’s President Bashir declares ceasefire in Blue Nile and South Kordofan”.
We are hiring! Baroness Cox is looking for an experienced PA to support her work.
Personal Assistant to Baroness Cox, Founder and President of HART.
Baroness Cox is looking for an experienced PA to support her work. The PA role is part-time for 4 days a week (9am-1pm).
As PA, you will develop an intimate knowledge of her charitable and also Parliamentary work.
She is looking for a candidate with excellent organisational skills, strong communications skills and the ability to manage a large and varied workload.
Your key responsibilities would include:
- Monitoring emails
- Diary management
- Where necessary, accompany Baroness Cox on speaking engagements to help with distributing HART materials
- Organising speaking engagements and organising meetings in Parliament
- Booking transport
If you have the right to work in the UK and would like to apply for the role, then e-mail your CV together with a covering letter explaining why you believe this could be the right role for you. Applications should be sent to me via e-mail at email@example.com by 12:00 on 4th July 2016.
Please download the application pack for more details.
Date listed: 24th June 2016
Date closing: 4th July 2016, 12 noon.
Please click here to find out about internships and volunteering with HART.
< All News