December 9th, 2016
News Round-Up 09/12/2016
News from HART
- HART would like to say a big thank you to everyone who came to our Carol Service and Concert last Wednesday.
- At least 11 people gave been killed in Northern Burma as clashes escalated in Shan State. Thousands have fled their homes since fighting erupted in late November.
- The UN has urged Aung San Suu Kyi to visit Rakhine state. It is a hoped that such a visit would reassure the civilian population that they will be protected.
- The Nigerian President has accused the UN of hyping up the north-eat crisis for its’ $1 billion appeal. President Buhari stated that the mass starvation is non-existent.
- The drought in Uganda has been viewed as the largest threat to Uganda’s growth. The country’s finance minister has revealed the government fears of the economic effects of the drought.
- South Sudanese refugees in Sudan have reached 263,000 according to UNHCR. October 2016 marks the highest monthly arrival rate.
- Sudan has rejected Juba’s request to shut down SPLM-IO offices.
- A foreign correspondent working in South Sudan has stated he has been deported for being too critical of the government. The journalist recently reported evidence of ethnic violence and alleged abuses committed by government troops.
< All News